South Side Music Program
- Last name
- At what stage is your proposal?
- Implementation / On the market
- What category/categories do you want to address with your idea?
- Describe the need or problem you want to address
- Crime is a major issue in Belize City, especially on the south-side of the city. Many young people are exposed to the harsh street life and may spend their extra time indulging in that life. The Southside Music Program allows the youths of Belize City to spend their time engaging in musical activities - exposing them to positive activities.Music education in Belize is not easily available to youths in Belize - often limited to only those who can afford expensive music lessons and afford musical equipment. The Southside Music Programme provides free music lessons for youths in Belize City.
- What is the main product or service you will offer?
- The Southside Music Programme is an extension of all other initiatives by the Belize Music Agency to promote and preserve Belize’s rich musical culture and heritage. Thus, the project aims to:* Stimulate an appreciation for the rich cultural tradition of the Music;*Provide free musical training in keyboard, drums, guitar, and vocals;*Provide a place for youths to spend their after-school time as a way to reduce crime;*Promote the enrichment of Belize’s cultural music;*Preserve the authentic rhythm. The program also serves as an ARTIST INCUBATOR for its participants that want to become an artist.
- Briefly describe the community or population that will benefit from your solution and how do you plan to involve them in the project
- Belize is a small diverse, democratic, English-speaking country on the coast of Central America in the Western Caribbean. While the nation has a small population of approximately 370,000 people; it boasts a rich diversity of various ethnic groups including the Creole, Mestizo, Garifuna, Maya, East Indian, Han Chinese, and Mennonite people. Due to this, Belize has a rich cultural heritage embracing different aspects of these cultures. While Small in population, crime is a major issue in the economic centre of the country; Belize City. Especially on the south-side of the city, poverty, crime and violence plague the environment which in turn affects the development of youths. Many young people spend after school on the streets, which exposes them to the aforementioned crime and violence. With the afterschool Southside Music Programme project, we can take these youths and put them in an environment that they would be able to learn a skill and continue Belize’s rich cultural heritage rather than being exposed to other harmful attributes of their community.
- Does your proposal have a business model (i.e. strategy to generate revenue)? Please describe
- The business model is aimed to sustain the activities of the South Side Music Program are three main initiatives: 1. a budget allocation from Belize Music Agency and free use of its full equipped rehearsal studio. 2. annual sponsorship from few businesses in Belize City that see benefit in providing a solution the youth crime. 3. Annual benefit concert by local artists that work with Belize Music Agency and other paid performances by South Side Youth Band. e.g. Court in store showcase for their summer sale and Christmas Caroling Caravan stops for businesses during Christmas , Brodies, Mirab, Save U to name a few.
Do you think this idea
is positive for the world?
Give your support to "South Side Music Program"