Garifuna Culture survival initiative
My proposal is basically aiming to strengthen a platform that has already been in place for the younger generation and older folk to get more in tune with their cultural whilst making it a business which they can sustain themselves from using it as source of income. At the same time learning more about the Garifuna culture.
- Last name
- At what stage is your proposal?
- Design (Prototype/MVP in development)
- What category/categories do you want to address with your idea?
- Describe the need or problem you want to address
- Poverty, impacted by lock of education, viable employment,positive mentors and heathy organizations activities attributes to our local youth in Belize becoming vulnerable to violent and crime. 38.8% of the population in Belize are under the age of 15. That percentage seems higher in the village of Hopkins. While over 90% of youth in Belize finish primary school This leaves many 17-21 year olds not active in school and unable to obtain employment. Crime and violence are prevalent amongst vulnerable youths and are not only on the rise in Hopkins but all of Belize and I want to change the statistics to see how best I could help in a positive way starting from my beautiful village.i
- What is the main product or service you will offer?
- The Garifuna Culture Preservation is a comprehensive, self sustainable approach that will not only provide guidance, education, recreation, and employment opportunities to youth, it will also preserve and promote the Garifuna culture and uplift the entire country.
- Briefly describe the community or population that will benefit from your solution and how do you plan to involve them in the project
- The initiative will target youths in Hopkins village age 10-30, providing education workshop after school and work, on weekends would teach skills related to Garifuna culture; like the history, theory and art of Garifuna music, knowledge of traditions food and how to prepare culinary delights. The art of making a dug out canoe, or net and skills involved in fishing or how to market your services/products/business and establish and maintain customers request. These Services will also be offered to visitor in the form of a package deal so they too can get that first hand experience of the Garifuna Culture at a reasonable price
- Does your proposal have a business model (i.e. strategy to generate revenue)? Please describe
- Target the youth who are willing to learn and open to teaching or the aspect of the Garifuna Culture. The programs will be mostly self sustaining because we will teach the youth to be make their own craft and use what they know and be their own bosses and how to create opportunities for themselves locally and internationally through tourism.
Do you think this idea
is positive for the world?
Give your support to "Garifuna Culture survival initiative"