Benque Basketball Academy New Beginnings
- Last name
- At what stage is your proposal?
- Implementation / On the market
- What category/categories do you want to address with your idea?
- Describe the need or problem you want to address
- Growing up in a small community like Benque there was a lack of sporting opportunities, mentorships, and training in Basketball. The few opportunities available were out of town and only individuals that could afford the transportation would be able to attend. Another major issue with these opportunities is that they were only a temporary avenues to teach skills and build athletes. With the establishment of the Benque Basketball Academy which is seeking funds to expand as a non-profit organization we aim to address the need of sporting opportunities for youths from our communities to enhance their basketball skills to potentially be recruited for a sports scholarship and keep these young individuals off the streets from deviant activities. This allows youths the opportunity to maximize their full potential, while promoting the importance of youth basketball as a medium to build character, discipline and self-esteem. Without structured activities, children experience boredom in the summer and some will get into trouble as a result. The Academy provides an ongoing, structured activity for youths to participate throughout the summer and year-round. Basketball or sports in general has a way of bringing people together and sharing a bond, which is a key contributor to the quality of life within local communities. Whether it is coaching, volunteering or just coming out to support the teams it contributes and promotes community development by bringing people together to enjoy physical activities. According to a research by the Ballymacash Sports Academy from Northern Ireland, they have been able to estimate $5.5 billion per year from health costs such as inactivity and $1 billion per year from premature death of individuals of working age within their economy. Where, sports have helped their economy by contributing towards physical activity and positive impacts on health such as decrease of risk in cardiovascular mortality, reduced risk of high blood pressure, reduced risk of depression and prevents lower back problems. Sports makes a significant difference to young lives, it contributes to young people’s health and, therefore, their development. Active participation encourages young people to do more training, builds their confidence in accessing jobs, encourages healthy lifestyles, and displaces the need for potential harmful, unhealthy activities.
- What is the main product or service you will offer?
- The goal of the academy is to provide training services to any player that wishes to excel in the game of basketball. To promote a sustainable community development through Education and Sports. The academy’s main objective is to keep the youth engaged in the game of basketball, to be potentially awarded a sports scholarship. The organization will be actively engaged in providing services that relate to increasing an individuals ability to play basketball. These camp services will also ensure that high level high school players can continue to hone their skills as they seek athletic scholarships. During summers, the business will operate on a daily basis to provide training with the ability to effectively increase their abilities on the court. We do not focus only on basketball skills. We work on youths’ soft skills. We teach them to be leaders and how to work on their leadership skills by giving them a task or drill to lead and are advised on what area they are lacking. For example, if they need to be more vocal or disciplined with other members. Also, through the drills they work on team building and social skills, and communication. These skills do not only apply to the players but us as well. We are able to learn something new/enhance our skills as young leaders by interacting and organizing events catered to youths. Some skills we improved/learn are our interpersonal, communication, organizational and leadership skills.
- Briefly describe the community or population that will benefit from your solution and how do you plan to involve them in the project
- Without structured activities, children experience boredom in the summer and some will get into trouble as a result. The academy provides an ongoing structured activities for youths to participate throughout the summer and year-round. This program will benefit the child in several ways including getting them involved in physical activity while also receiving mentoring and educational sessions focused on life skills. Each child will be able to use the skills learned from this program to positively impact their future. Parents want their children to participate in safe activities that bring them joy. Not only is basketball a safe activity, but it keeps youths occupied and out of trouble during summer months. Children will get to participate in physical activity, educational classes and mentoring sessions to help learn the value of being a team player. The community that will benefit are local communities, the activities such as tournaments which will be organized by the academy gives the local residents a platform to gather and support youths. Not only does it provide activities for youths but for parents and supporting residents that allow them to socialize with each other, which creates a sound community creating a better environment for the economy. The academy always accepts volunteers and with a growing community, there is more to be done. Which allows youths to come and volunteer with the academy to help gain the experience on project management and life skills. The academy has also looked at environmental clubs which do cleanup campaigns and requirements to be part of the academy is community service in which case our members will be assigned to collaborate with such clubs to help contribute towards a better, cleaner and safer environment for everyone.
- Does your proposal have a business model (i.e. strategy to generate revenue)? Please describe
- Yes, we have a business model in plan. Being that youths from ages 9-21 are our target market, they will be offered a monthly membership fee based on an age criterion. Youths from 9-13 would pay $10, 14-18 would pay $15 and 19-21 would pay $20. This membership fee allows the registered individuals full access to equipment, trainings, camps, personnel and tournaments organized by the BBA. Those who are not members of the academy would need to pay additional tournament fees towards the organization of any tournament held by the BBA. Therefore, being a member of the BBA allows youths more mobility and admittance to any and all activities held by the BBA. Non-members to use the BBA equipment they will need to sign a consent form and pay a fee, depending on which equipment they intend to use. For example, the academy has a scoreboard and a fee of $35 per day or $20 per half day will be charged and any damages sustained to the equipment the person will be held accountable to pay a fine. All organized tournaments by the academy will be held in an enclosed area to allow an entrance fee to be charged. The academy will also sell snacks, food and drinks to all attendees in support of the youths. This generated revenue will be used for any affiliation or costs incurred to the BBA to proceed with more trainings, workshops, camps and tournaments for youth development. With the resources from this grant the academy would attend professional trainings and workshops and with the skills, knowledge and experience gained we would charge a fee for our services for non-members. Which would include scoreboard, refereeing, table stats, live stats, video highlights and other services within our capacity. Also, any tournament outside the BBA which non-members wish for us to host we would charge a fee to organize such event. For the different age level division tournament, refereeing fee would vary. For example, 18 & Under is $20, 15 & Under is $15 and 13 & Under is $10 fees. Donations by local sponsors and donors will also be circulated as a gift prize raffle to generate revenue into the expenses of the BBA. All donors will be recognized by the BBA and announced at the start and end of every tournament. The academy will also generate revenue through merchandise sold with the academys newly formed logo, yet to be released. The merchandise would include snapbacks, backpacks, cups, socks, shirts and personalized jerseys to represent their favorite players.
Do you think this idea
is positive for the world?
Give your support to "Benque Basketball Academy New Beginnings"