Location, location, location!
- Carren Amanda
- Last name
- At what stage is your proposal?
- Design (Prototype/MVP in development)
- What category/categories do you want to address with your idea?
- Describe the need or problem you want to address
- Location, location, location will address the growing problem of "Exclusion" of communities like Salvapan, simply for the fact of its location and provide economic opportunities for youths and the small businesses of this area through looking at the community through a different lens where the diverse services offered by this community can be recognized by offering a space where their prosperity can grow. Anyone who knows this area is aware that this is the treasure chest of many vital services, but due to location, these are not adequately used for the benefit of the wider Belmopan and the rest of the country. If this problem is not addressed exclusion leads to conditions where crime and violence can persist - I believe that its time to change the story and provide options for a better ending for the Salvapan Community. This project will empower youths to be the agents of change in their own community where they will do hands -on training in painting and landscaping in Salvapan over a four weeks period - through this component they will help to identify areas that need painting and landscaping interventions in their community. Working with trainers/mentors, they will learn various painting and landscaping techniques that will build their skills and confidence in these fields. At the end of the training period, there will be immediate and visible impacts evidenced by a more beautiful community that they will see and live in on a daily basis - the longer term impacts will be greater including a more attractive and welcoming area for visitors, businesses, and residents that encourage greater economic activities. After the training period, youths will be assisted in marketing their services in the painting and landscaping fields and they will work with each other to determine the best fit/role that each one will play. They will have acess to the equipment and materials acquired to address the problem they currently face of being "unemployed" or "underemployed". The longer-term impact will be lower crime rates as many youths engage in crime due to limited opportunities for them, and lack of recognition by their community - the work that they do to beutify their community will create an opportunity for constant recognition by their community.
- What is the main product or service you will offer?
- The main services will be Landscaping, painting, and support for the small businesses of this community through a more beautiful community that encourages greater economic activities and prosperity. The landscaping and painting services will be offered to the wider Belmopan Community, as well as local residents and small businesses in the Salvapan Community.
- Briefly describe the community or population that will benefit from your solution and how do you plan to involve them in the project
- The 3,000 residents of the Salvapan Community will benefit through an improved community. Directly 25 youths will benefit through their participation in the painting and landscaping components - this benefit is expected to be long-term as at the end a Landscaping and Painting business will be developed that will continue to provide sustainable benefits. 25 small businesses from the community will benefit through assistance in painting and landscaping to improve their store fronts and make them more attractive for the community. An additional 150 residents living along the Cemetery Road and Calle Las Americas will directly benefit from painting and landscaping improvements done along their streets. Residents of the wider Belmopan City, with a population of 20,000 and quickly growing will be able to access these services that will be offeres at a professional level.
- Does your proposal have a business model (i.e. strategy to generate revenue)? Please describe
- Yes. The strategy is first of all to train the youths during 4 weeks at the start of project that they will be able to provide professional level landscaping and painting services. After the 4 weeks, the group will be organized to have lead entrepreneur(s) and workers and will market their new businesses to the wider Belmopan Area via Facebook and house-to-house flyers. Each of the established businesses at the end will make 5 documented sales that will indicate a successful start of their enterprises.
Do you think this idea
is positive for the world?
Give your support to "Location, location, location!"