Project "Au Bau Amuru Nau" "
Project “Au Bau Amuru Nau””I for You, You For ME” is an initiative aimed at achieving cultural retention of the Garifuna people and the wholesome development of youth in a growing tourism market. It will involve working closely alongside tourism stake holders and various mentors to provide skill development classes, internships and networking opportunities in order to make our youth more attractive in the tourism industry. Our development sessions will be focused on combining traditional knowledge of the Garifuna such as: fishing, handcrafts, farming, herbal medicines and navigating with modern skillets such as: tour guiding, sailing, bar tending and cosmetics. Thus, distinguishing them with knowledge unique to the Garifuna people that can be easily integrated to create unique products or exhibit exceptional performance in a given career.
- Last name
- At what stage is your proposal?
- Design (Prototype/MVP in development)
- What category/categories do you want to address with your idea?
- Describe the need or problem you want to address
- The ongoing gentrification in Hopkins village has caused a drastic decline in the traditional practices of the Garifuna people and a displacement of locals in the work force. Tourism stake holders usually seek to employ out district employees with several certifications at a lower cost; also leading to an increase in at risk youth just sitting on certification or degrees. The previous factors added to the lack of youth mentorship and engagement in constructive extracurricular activities is causing a dwindling of youth entrepreneurship endeavors and an increase in youth dependency on foreign employers. This is plainly a terrible situation for the local youth of Hopkins to be in. Therefore, we are seeking not to only make our fellow youth attractive in the industry but also hope to spark minds of future entrepreneurs and mentors. We expect that through providing this opportunity for youth development we will be able to mold well rounded contributors to society, who will carry on the spirit of knowledge sharing and youth development.
- What is the main product or service you will offer?
- Our development classes will be our main product. Sessions will be hosted by certified local tourism stake holders and experienced mentors. All certification completed will be composed of suitable skill & knowledge based components .We are currently developing programs that would consist of modern skills complemented by traditional Garifuna practices and entrepreneurial advice. For example: having our mentor teach on the culinary arts and have extracurricular activities attached such as farming and herbal medication to give each participant a unique ability to distinguish them from other chefs. Just imagine, a chef being able to prepare a delectable organic meal that would help with whatever ailment you are currently facing just through his knowledge of herbs. Then, moving on to creates his own local restaurant and hiring local youth at his establishment. This is the type of development we hope to achieve with this project. Therefore, after every session our mentors will follow up with interested participants to be their advisor and work with them closely to find internship opportunities to sharpen their skills and gain real world experience. This will provide participants with a positive environment suitable for wholesome growth .
- Briefly describe the community or population that will benefit from your solution and how do you plan to involve them in the project
- The southern community and Garifuna youth will be the ones to greatly benefit from this endeavour; through engaging them in cheap professional development and capacity building. Our mentors and volunteers will also be assisting in providing them with extracurricular activities to engage the youth in fun but meaningful recreation during free times. We plan on heavily advertising the benefits to the Garifuna population through partnering with local tourism stake holders, local media,schools and local government officials to gain interest and dedicated participation by interested persons.
- Does your proposal have a business model (i.e. strategy to generate revenue)? Please describe
- Our business model will be based on collecting small fees from participants to acquire small stipend payments to our dedicated mentors for our development classes and maintenance of inventory. Usage of facilities will come at no additional cost, thus giving our sessions a more attractive pricing range compared to other development courses. We also plan to partner with tourism stake holders and network to locate investors interested in enriching the tourism workforce with trained professionals that have unique skills. We will also be appealing to grant agents and NGO’s for donations and grants to sustain our project. In the growing tourism market, cultural tourism is beginning to hold a large share in visitor interest. Therefore, our project will be of interest to many and help to enrich locals and further expand Belize’s tourism market and increase local market share.
Do you think this idea
is positive for the world?
Give your support to "Project "Au Bau Amuru Nau" ""