- Last name
- At what stage is your proposal?
- Implementation / On the market
- What category/categories do you want to address with your idea?
- Describe the need or problem you want to address
- The primary issue I would like to address is mental development in youths. Poverty is a real and prevalent issue in Belize. There are limited opportunities for young people to have gainful employment in Belize City. As a result, many young males are drawn into illegal and dangerous activities in an attempt to acquire finances to meet basic needs. Therefore, projects that provide opportunities for young people to be gainfully employed as well as provide education and mentorship activities are integral in addressing the issues with our youths in Belize. Assisting them in expanding their perspective on life so that they can for-see repercussions from certain decisions so that they can better prepare themselves for the harsh realities of the world especially if you’re less fortunate than most. Basically playing a male role model for youths in the neighborhood who are without a significant positive male presence in their lives .
- What is the main product or service you will offer?
- The main service we are offering is Youth Development, via a subscription newspaper residential delivery service, which is also an avenue that we utilize to do flier distribution and various advertising for local business. And eventually a membership card that customers can use at local small business member in the community, the money generated pays the youths and maintains the bikes and uniforms that we offer them. As well as offer complements in terms of providing basic school supplies where needed.
- Briefly describe the community or population that will benefit from your solution and how do you plan to involve them in the project
- My neighborhood is a middle class suburban community which has a number of apartment buildings and housing structures that persons from a lower socio-economic bracket resides in. Paper-Boys reaches out to youth whose support network are not as strong as they may need. The purpose of the business is to show them the value of hard-work and starting off small, but it also creates a sense of belonging in the neighborhood and it helps to foster community spirit.
- Does your proposal have a business model (i.e. strategy to generate revenue)? Please describe
- The business model is set at $10 BZ monthly for papers delivered every Saturday of the month. The youths earn $0.35 for each home they deliver a paper to. currently we have 93 customers. The subscription total collected for the month is $930. Youths earn $32.55 a week if they deliver alone. We generally prefer for them to go out in pairs as a means of safety and it also promotes working together as a team. Paper Boyz has six (6) young men working as part of the team, they range in ages from 13 – 19. In my neighborhood they're over 1000 homes and numerous apartments. The cost to purchase all the papers for customers is $90 every Saturday. so the total spent for purchasing of papers and paying the youths to deliver is $122.55. The total monthly expenses for papers and delivery are $490.20. We retain $439.80 in profit based on subscription fees. A portion of the retained earnings is used for maintenance of bikes and uniforms. Twenty (20) percent is set aside as savings, the purpose of this is to ensure that in the event any of the young men have any emergency we will be in a position to assist. Emergencies given the economics of the time varies from needing money for a project at school, assisting with buying school book or even assisting with buying an extra pair of uniform pants. We provide out-lets for the young men to engage in sporting activities by setting up basketball league in our community.
Do you think this idea
is positive for the world?
Give your support to "Paper Boyz"