This is a Homework Assistance, Tutoring and Recreation-based after school program in Burrell Boom, that is set up to serve children from ages 4 – 14, that has the potential for growth. The program will be run by myself, Fundisha Haynes as I liaise with parents and volunteer staff to tackle specific needs of the children. I will have High school students as volunteers and their time will be credited to them as community service hours. The hops is that this will allow them to become positive role models for the younger kids through their participation by tutoring and assisting with homework. With the support of donors and the Community, eventually I would love to establish a study Hall, for high school kids so they can do research for homework and projects and skill building, work study program for high school drop out students. As these ideas develop, I hope to also create a feeding program as well, providing lunch on a daily basis for students, for this I hope to recruit some parents.
- Last name
- At what stage is your proposal?
- Idea phase
- What category/categories do you want to address with your idea?
- Describe the need or problem you want to address
- I've noticed over the years that our children are being left to their own devices after school, which leaves room for most of them to be negatively influenced. Providing a safe space for development with positive reinforcement can make a big difference in these children's lives, which is the sole purpose of this program. The education system in this country can only go so far, with this program I intend to fill in the spaces left in order to assist with the process of creating a productive citizen.Indirectly, the implementation of the program is expected to:•Support an active learning environment in the school •Provide a balanced lifestyle for youth participants •Effectively increase health, wellness and fitness for youth •Potentially decrease juvenile crime
- What is the main product or service you will offer?
- The main product offered by this program is to assist every child that participates in reaching their full potential, which is immeasurable. The program will have a direct impact that will:•Provide an academic focus with time to complete homework, read, and receive assistance/tutoring•Provide a fun and safe place for primary school students during after school hours •Provide positive interaction with caring adult role models •Encourage and develop life skills, respect for others, and positive social interaction •Introduce and engage youth in positive, potential life-long recreational pursuits
- Briefly describe the community or population that will benefit from your solution and how do you plan to involve them in the project
- Burrell Boom is a small village on the Belize River twenty miles above Belize City, that links the Northern and Western highways. The village has now both Methodist and Catholic elementary schools.The program aims to recruit retired teachers, high school students and parents from the Boom area as Recreation leaders, our primary role will be to plan activities and maintain a cooperative atmosphere, which includes addressing and resolving any and all issues that may arise. As the site Supervisor I will be happy to meet with anyone to discuss issues or accept suggestions. The Recreation Leaders will first and foremost assist students with their homework and assignments and lead fun reading, tutoring or recreational activities. We will provide basic instructions and lead participants in games, arts or crafts projects, fitness activities, outdoor skill activities, dance and music activities and field trips. We will maintain constant interaction with the student participants. Recreation leaders will be permitted to present activity ideas, they will be provided with equipment and supplies. Community service students will have opportunities to give input and help plan activities and field trips and when appropriate or available, outside experts would be included in program activities to introduce areas of expertise, lead group discussions or provide tours.
- Does your proposal have a business model (i.e. strategy to generate revenue)? Please describe
- It is my hope that members of the community especially business owners will support this program. Donations in the form of school supplies, groceries, monetary or free educational trips, will be solicited from individuals and businesses throughout Belize. Even though I am hoping to receive many donations, I realize that for some it might not be continuous, so in order to keep the program afloat a small fee of $5.00 per day will be charged, which can also be paid on a weekly basis. The only additional fee that will be charged is for special field trips. Students interested in field trips are required to submit a “Field Trip Registration” form, signed by a parent. These will be made available prior to each field trip.
Do you think this idea
is positive for the world?
Give your support to "After-School Program"