501 Skills Compete
The project is to develop several apps for cellphones, tablets and laptops. The apps are teaching apps based on the Belize school curriculum and relevant to life in Belize. The apps will be built with gamification at its core. Gamification means that the app will look and feel like a game to the users, which are primarily kids and teenagers. As the app feels more like a game, kids will see it as an opportunity to play and entertain themselves, rather than a chore to study and learn a particular subject. Making the content specific to Belize will keep the game relevant and more appealing.
- Efrain Omar
- Last name
- At what stage is your proposal?
- Design (Prototype/MVP in development)
- What category/categories do you want to address with your idea?
- Describe the need or problem you want to address
- Smart phones and other electronic devices are a part of the daily lives of most children, teenagers, and adults. The problem is that these devices can be a major distraction especially for children and teenagers. The content on these devices are addictive and sometimes prevent students from placing their attention on their educational goals.So what is the solution to this problem. Should schools ban all electronic devices? Should parents take away all devices and prevent their kids from becoming tech savvy? I believe there is an alternate solution. An opportunity to transform something negative into something positive.Since these kids and teens are already glued to their devices, apps can be developed that are actually beneficial to them. The idea is to develop a series of apps that cover a variety of different subjects on their current school curriculum. These apps will be developed as games where students can compete with each other for high scores, posts their scores on social media such as Facebook and Instagram. The games get progressively harder as they move through different levels. Players earn digital trophies for achieving certain goals. All the fun and excitement of a game, with the benefit of practicing and learning current school material.Let me give an example, imagine if there was a game that tests your skills in spelling on the words that are going to be on you spelling quiz the following week. Imagine if you could use this same game to prepare for competing in the national spelling bee hosted by Bowen and Bowen. This concept can be implemented across all subjects. Additional features can be developed to assist in other areas. A feature can be developed to help teachers know if the students are properly prepared for quizzes, tests, and exams. Schools can use the backend data to get a general idea of how students are performing in different classes of the same grade. The Ministry of Education can use the data to compare the performance of different schools, and determine which schools need help in what areas. When integrated holistically, these series of apps can become a very powerful tool to drive education forward in Belize.
- What is the main product or service you will offer?
- The products are a series of games designed to cover specific school syllabus content. Back end information will be provided to educators, schools, and other institutions that might be interested in the information gathered.
- Briefly describe the community or population that will benefit from your solution and how do you plan to involve them in the project
- The games are targeted at children and teenagers. They will be the direct benefactors as these games will have the added benefit of learning specific content that is covered in school. By playing the games, students will improve their scores in quizzes, tests, and exams.Parents will benefit by knowing that the children are spending their time productively on the devices. If the apps help students perform better in school, parents will have a direct financial benefit by avoiding paying for expensive tutoring or after school classes. They can possibly even avoid the greater expense of having a child flunk. It is very costly for a child to take the same classes over again, and extend their time in school for another year.Teachers and school administrators will benefit by having access to back end information that allows them to determine the level of student performance across several subjects and classes.Students that are home schooled, or children that are not in school will have the opportunity to learn in a non-school setting.
- Does your proposal have a business model (i.e. strategy to generate revenue)? Please describe
- The revenue model of this series of apps is very simple. There are 65,000 primary school students and 22,000 high school students in a given year. At an average of 7 subjects per student, if we sold each app for 1.00 Belize Dollar there is potential revenue of 543,000.00 BZD per year. If only 25% of students purchase the apps, that is a yearly revenue of 135,750.00. This allows me to hire 4 to 5 full time programmers and still make a profit of 45,000.00 per year.
Do you think this idea
is positive for the world?
Give your support to "501 Skills Compete"